My friend and I bought a '68 McVay Bluenose sloop on a whim and this will be a record of our trials and tribulations.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Engine Tribulations

Our little 4hp, 4 stroke Yamaha has conked out on us once again. We already brought it to the shop twice and they "fixed" it well enough to get it running for 3 or 4 outings before we are back at square one. I'm just about ready to chuck the thing in a dumpster and get a new outboard, but my partner in crime is somehow motivated to give it one last try. We are done bothering with the (apparently) marginally incompetent repair shop, so we loaded the engine in his truck and he is going to try and fix it at home. Failing that, we are looking at getting a new outboard, an option I would almost prefer at this point.

3 comments:

Bill Evans said...

You could always try sailing engineless. I sailed a Bluenose sloop for 4 years without an engine. Besides looking nicer without the outboard, I think they sail better without all the extra weight on the stern.

Cheers, Bill

Also, here is a link to a Sailnet discussion on Bluenose Sloops.

http://knockaboutsloops.blogspot.com/2007/08/well-my-current-ride-is-mcvay-bluenose.html

Steve Terranova said...

Hey Bill,
It wouldn't be possible to sail out of our harbor (or back in it) without an engine. The currents created by the incoming and outgoing tides are quite strong and if the wind dies once we get out, we are in trouble without an engine to back us up.

TIM HILER said...

Hi Steve,

Very glad to see that you are enjoying your newly painted Bluenose. I'll bet it's the best bit of eye candy in the harbor!

I learned to sail in a couple of Bluenoses while still a teenager in the very late 1960s and early '70s, (both boats were numbered in the 140s, and I'm pretty sure one of them was numbered 147)first in Redondo Beach (King Harbor) and later in Marina Del Rey, when the dealership moved its dealership and sailing school fleet there.

I was wondering where your boat had originally been delivered.

Sometime in the 1980s one of the MDR fleet made its way to Arcata/Humboldt, and I understand that there is at least one McVay Bluenose near Seattle.

This is still my favorite boat to sail. I am hoping to find one for myself someday, as I now live in Oakland, and SF Bay is wonderfully suited for this design.

Best regards and happy sailing,

TIM HILER