My friend and I bought a '68 McVay Bluenose sloop on a whim and this will be a record of our trials and tribulations.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Some pics of the bluenose

Here are some pics of the boat. Yes, the hull of the Bluenose is inexplicably painted red. We intend to remedy that, soon.



This is the cockpit. It is a large cockpit as it is more designed as a racing boat with only a storage cabin.



This is a picture as we approached Morro Rock under sail. The sailing gets very tricky here, because the wind gets blocked and can also be swirly here.



This is the boat in the slip next to ours. This boat has an interesting history. It was built in, I believe, the 1950's in the Amazon rainforest using crude hand tools and indigenous wood. A man and his son sailed it down the Amazon and into the Atlantic, all the way up to Florida (I don't know how it made it to the other side of the continent, but I'll assume it was towed across). We spoke with the daughter or granddaughter, I forget which, who I think keeps it there mostly for nostalgia's sake.


A common sight in Morro Bay are sea otters floating on their backs and enjoying VERY fresh crab. Sorry for the poor quality of the pic, but all these were done with my i-phone.

No comments: